About Time Too!

It's been a long time coming and I know that a bunch of people will feel that their civil liberties have been impacted. Scotland have announced their intention to follow NYC and Ireland in banning smoking in public places.

As a non smoker, you would expect me to support this move and of course I do, but I think it probably goes too far. I support the move insofar as forcing some venues to be completely non smoking, because since coming to the US, when I go to a bar or restaurant, the change I have noticed is incredible. I don't come home stinking of someone else's cigarettes.

In the UK, it is almost impossible to find a bar or restaurant that does not allow smoking in some capacity; and so my choice was always to endure it or don't go out. Personally, because I support the individual right to a completely free choice, I would rather see some bars as completely smoking and some as completely non-smoking, giving both groups the right to choose. I suspect however, that would be a nightmare to manage and therefore can understand why this route has been taken.

Already owners of the affected establishments are bemoaning lost business and forecasting closures, etc. I am sure that there will be a settling in period and for sure, some businesses will make it hard for themselves by being stubborn. My suggestion to them would be to start preparing for it now, by reducing the smoking section and transitioning into the change. My favourite restaurant in Epsom is completely non smoking and it is packed every night at the weekends and busy through the rest of the week; quite simply they make good food and that transcends the smoking policy!

I await your abuse :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism