Can't You Yanks Finish Anything?

I know that some of my anti Bush readers will be hoping this is an anti Bush rant, but I don't know enough about politics to take on some of his more vocal detractors. No, this observation is about something much simpler, but to me, infinitely more annoying.

As a stranger to your fair land, I often have to stick to major routes to find my way around, and only venture onto some of the lesser travelled routes when I absolutely have to, or at least have used them a few times before. In addition, when I am going somewhere, I often have to rely on signs, either temporary (eg for a Park & Ride) or permanent (eg to the All State Arena).

You guys have this incredibly annoying habit of stopping signs part way through the journey, ie not directing people all the way to the actual destination. Two fine examples being those above in the brackets. The latter being the trigger for this rant.

A month or so ago, Vernon Hills had a festival of sorts, Black Hawk helicopter, fairground rides, etc, which we decided to attend. Being the responsible people we are, we decided to use the Park & Ride, and followed the signs from Tonwline Road (IL rt60), down towards the festival ground itself, round a corner towards some store parking lots, all the way to a T junction where there we NO SIGNS! We tried both directions and saw no more signs and no indication of buses that would be used to service the Park & Ride, so we gave up and parked in the street, no big deal.

Last night having spent the day in unfamiliar territory deep down south, Du Page County, I had my directions home, using the I-294. The directions from a friend to the interstate were perfect (thanks Choy), but unfortunately the I-294 was absolutely solid with traffic. Being less than adventurous in terms of trying to find my way around, I though I would probably just sit it out, until I saw a sign for the All State Arena, next exit, which having been to the hockey a few times, I knew was on IL rt45, which runs all the way back to the end of our road..perfect, I came off. Following signs to switch lanes, navigate the various junctions and get of the interstate, I'm thinking "it's a skoosh" (for my Scottish readers, English & American translates to "this is easy"). Lo and behold I reach a T junction with NO SIGNS!

I found my way onto IL rt72 heading West, and called Lorraine to check my basic thinking was OK, which fortunately it was and we soon found IL rt83 (North) to get home, which in itself is a challenge, as far being a normal straight road, you have to turn at several junctions to stay on the main road, but that is a rant for another day!

However, my question is this...just how difficult is it to deliver signage ALL THE WAY to the appropriate destination? Is this a uniquely Illinois trait or is it similar elsewhere? Discuss....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism