Friday's Feast - 57

Appetizer : Name 3 people whom you admire for their intelligence.
This one took some serious thinking and was almost too tough a question for an appetizer.

Alan Turing, a hugely prolific codebreaker at Bletchley Park during WWII, who despite Hollywood claims in movies like U-571, were almost solely responsible for breaking the Enigma code. They became so successful at breaking the code, that they often had order meant for German Field Officers, before the officers themselves! He is credited by some as having invented the first ever computer, which again my American friends had to relinquish claim to when the official secrets act released the details.

Tim Berners-Lee, whilst not completely responsible for our ability to partake in this thing we call blogging, he was certainly right up there. Currently director of the World Wide Web Consortium, he wrote the first browser and first web server, going on to invent HTML and HTTP.

The third on my list is probably not someone that people would credit with having intelligence, and maybe I will have to settle for admiring his instincts or skill. Michael Schumacher, the most successful F1 driver of all time and still racing competitively today. Followers of the sport will surely be delighted to correct me with respect to this year's season, where both Michael and the Ferrari team seem unable to make an impact on their competitors.

I will simply say this. Michael signed with Ferrari in 1996, they won their first World Championship for 16 years in 1999, with Michael taking the drivers crown a year later and both titles every year since. He and Ferrari saw the potential in the relationship then and I would say Michael is an enormous part of that success. Ferrari may well have achieved it without him, but IMHO, it is unlikely they would have done so, as soon, or as often.

I have no doubt that if they continue to work together they will once again rise to the top.

Soup : What's the last food you tried that you really didn't care for?
At the ripe old age of 37, I tend not to be too adventurous with my food any more.

Salad : If you could rename the street that you live on, what would you want it to be called?
When we were preparing for our move to the US, we had a buddy send over some apartment guides. One of the places that looked like it might be decent was called Buckingham Palace Gardens. I kinda thought that would be a cool address to have as a Brit living in the US.

Main Course : When was the last time you were genuinely surprised?
Two weeks ago. I called up a supplier of the company who make the running bars for my truck, Westin (link) to ask where I could get new rubber treads, as one is missing having fallen off, and another is on it's way out. The garage I spoke to, told me the price, but said that I should not buy them from him. Rather I should call the supplier direct as they would most likely give me them for free. Two weeks later, I have two new treads and new fitting clips!

Good job on the garage's part not simply allowing me to buy something I didn't need to pay for and on the part of the supplier who simply took my call and sent me the new bits! Great customer service from both parties.

Dessert : Share a household tip.
If you spill grease or candle wax on any cloth surface, including clothing, carpets, tablecovers, etc; remove it by ironing the item with either kitchen towel or brown paper. Place the item on a solid surface, place the kitchen towel on top and then iron with a warm/hot iron. The paper will suck up the grease. Repeat as necessary until the stain is gone. Note - be careful with man made fibre items, eg nylon carpets..keep the iron cooler and don't allow the item to warm up too much.

Served up by Friday's Feast

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism