Slainte Mhath (Slancha Va)

It means literally To Your Health or Good Health, ie cheers. As above it is usally pronouced Slancha Va, although without ever having spoken Gaelic, I have no idea if that is accurate. This website indicates otherwise.

This website will help all you seasoned travellers to keep your "cheers" straight. Interestingly, some languages use the same word when you sneeze and say cheers, for example Gesondheid! in Afrikaans. I guess both kind of mean "Good Health To You", which is the original reason for saying Bless You of course, from the days of the plague in London.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site,
how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal.
I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

Feel free to surf to my homepage ... vakantiehuizen

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism