Gordon Who??

For the last four weeks, that is about how I felt. Nothing to do with the double barrelled surname, but everything to do with only having arrived in the country four weeks ago. It seems I was genuinely born yesterday, although some people have been saying that about me for years.

None of my history is transferable, be it credit history or driving history (although maybe that's a good thing). So I am being treated like a teenager again, just out of school, although, even they can get credit cards! My car insurance is sky high, at $900 for 6 months, largely because I don't have an Illinois drivers licence or any allowable driver history.

I do, now, at least have a social security number, having gone through a fairly painless process. However it seems that even that does not mean that much, as when I tried to use it at the Nextel store at the weekend to get a phone for Lorraine, I was told I did not exist on their systems, and so therefore still could not have a phone!

We moved yesterday, so I will try to post this weekend from my new broadband account, 4mb if you please, for about $19.99 a month. The cable guy has been excellent, he came the same day and hooked it up, and didn't worry about the credit history, he simply took a $75 deposit for their box, and we were good to go. The channel line up is huge, with all sorts of movie, sports and regular channels for $34.99 pcm for 6 months then it goes up to $44.99. It also has a Sky+/DVR box, where I can record, pause, etc, although I won't be able to use it until I get my new TV, which I have ordered, from a refurbishing company. It seems like a fantastic deal, it comes with a four year warranty, and it is pretty much the latest kit, so am quite excited about that.

Lorraine has been studying her rules of the road, and was all set to take her test this week. She needs to do a special "temporary" licence, written and physical test, because she only has a visitor visa and cannot get an SSN. She went down there on Monday to take the test and well...I will let her tell you on her blog!

I think I mentioned before that our stuff has been delayed in departure from the UK and probably won't arrive until the end of May, and so we are begging, borrowing and 'stealing' stuff to get us by until it turns up. Everything from golf clubs, a bike for Lorraine, through to a mattress, crockery, cutlery, etc. We are going to go shopping to Ikea tonight for some stuff that we know we will need, even when our stuff gets here.

We have been on a few bikes rides, having recently discovered a new forest trail just across the way from our apartment, just before we moved! We went out last week and saw a whole bunch of deer running around, that was pretty cool. My new bike is awesome, and only cost 160 quid!

I will also try to post some pictures of the new place, new bike, etc at the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism