Will Sir Be.....

A very good and long standing friend of mine, Marcus, recently came to town for a fleeting visit on his way back from a business trip to Dallas. The very bizarre thing is that he will be here in Chicago this week for the same client, but due to his schedule, we will not be able to get together. How screwed up is that!

We have been friends since we met in Bristol, England (for the Americans - not Rhode Island or Tennessee), many years ago. I think probably about 10 years, if my math is right. We shared a flat for a while and became firm friends. I am mentor to his son Max (Godfather if you are religious). We have been through many experiences together, and hopefully he didn't share too many secrets with Lorraine when they were alone together on Wednesday morning, whilst I was at work!

As you can see from the above picture, with Lorraine and Marcus paddling in Lake Michigan on Wednesday afternoon, the weather was gorgeous, or at least it started that way. This picture shows the buildings around the John Hancock tower about an hour later when a fog moved in from the lake.

The reason for the title is a very posh men's tailor at the foot of the Hancock Tower, the name of which I unfortunately, cannot remember. Picture the scene however; we are a bunch of tourists, albeit fairly affluent tourists, out for the day in our shorts and t-shirts, and Marcus wants to buy a linen suit for a wedding he is best man for in the next few weeks. Having struck out in Marshall Fields, we were recommended this store by the sales assistant.

They have a tie collection that Ziggy (a UK friend an very sharp dresser) would kill for. Marcus goes upstairs to their suit area, and Lorraine and I avail ourselves of some comfy leather chairs downstairs. A snotty salesman wanders up and remarks that his store must be a very popular tourist hangout, looking disdainfully at our attire. We remind him that our friend is actually looking at suits in his store, to which he replies, "I know", I guess he would have preferred it if we had waited outside!

Needless to say, Marucs did not want to pay $1500 for his linen suit and we left soon after. Rest assured however that I will never shop in that store, and it is highly unlikely, that I will ever take any of my friends with UK pounds to spend in there either (sorry Ziggy). It kinda felt like a really pretty woman moment, I just wish I could remember the name of the store so I could name and shame them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism