It Was my Privilege...

...today, to be present at the dedication of two of the homes I have been working on up at Habitat For Humanity. I was invited to this a few weeks ago, through the office, as one of the houses being dedicated was the Hewitt house, our 9th! We had never been to a dedication before, and so didn't really know what to expect.

The first picture here, shows a part of the dedication ceremony, where we all lay our hand on a part of the house and repeat, "I dedicate this house"

We worked in the morning at one of the houses on their new site, I built a stud wall. I was also there to see what I might be doing next week, when I do my very first volunteer crew lead next weekend. All of the regular crew leaders from Americorp will be in Texas for a blitz build, where they get several hundred volunteers and Americorp folks and try to build something like 100 houses in one week.

The main reason that it was a special privilege for me today though, was that as a Hewitt employee and regular volunteer, I was asked to take part in the ceremony, handing over the keys to the family, who will reside in this Hewitt house; quite an honour, and a total surprise.

The other picture, is me with the family, Sheila (mom), Shenetrius and Demetrius Stephens. Sheila is lovely and really is quite the personality. I felt very proud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism