Telephone Call For...

As you probably would guess, calling the UK from the US is pretty expensive, and so as a result we have restricted ourselves to email and emergency calls only. Which of course leads to a huge disconnect in our lives, when we are so used to simply picking up the phone to talk to people.

Recently we heard about a great service called Lingo, which is, for the techies amongst you, a Voice Over IP system, meaning, for the non techies amongst you, that we can use our existing internet connection to talk to the UK or anyone for that matter, for as long as we like, for the vastly reduced price of $19.99 per month; now if only I can get it working.

I was very proud of myself, having made my wireless network work, after a bit of swearing and hair pulling; I was thinking this VOIP stuff would be a synch. Never could I be more wrong. I have had it every which way and still it won’t work, I have called tech support at Dlink (the router people) and Lingo, but to no avail. I have messed around, hard reset, removed the wireless completely, and still nadda.

I have resorted today to trying to tap resources in the office who typically know a lot more than me about these sorts of things (not difficult I know). I almost resorted to these guys, until I saw their prices! They operate a great new service, and are spreading nationwide. They are your typical geeks, with pocket protectors, clip on ties, white socks with black trousers, etc, and they all drive around in cool black and white VW Bettles, with Geek Squad logos. I think the concept is great and they will probably make a lot of money!

Anyways, I will hopefully get this phone thing going in the next day or so, all being equal, so the next time your phone rings, it could well be one of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism