Montreal, QC

I took my fourth trip to Montreal this past week. On the previous three trips, I had not had much opportunity to go out and shoot photographs. Two trips were with Steve and so we spent most of the time out eating and drinking, the third trip it rained pretty much the entire week, and I thought this was going to be the same this week. For the first two days it rained pretty solidly, although I managed to sneak a few hours one evening.

I had been checking out many of the fountains on previous trips, and so I decided that would be good subject matter. Click on the picture above for shots from that evening.

On the last night I decided to check out what is supposedly one of the best attractions in Montreal, the Bio Dome in the old Olympic stadium. I have to say that whilst I thought it was kinda fun, and the exhibits were good, I really didn't think it was all that!

The one thing I did do when I was there that impressed the heck out of me. I went up to the botanic garden, planning to shoot some flowers and maybe some night landscapes, but what I discovered was the 19th annual Chinese lantern festival. This wonderful event detailed below was the most incredible sight. Click on the picture to see all that I shot that night.

Every year, the botanical garden presents the Magic Of Lanterns on a different theme. This process takes almost a year, each year!

Through Fall & Winter, a theme is decided for the following year, technical drawings are made in Montreal. Precise drawings are made for each lantern, including dimensions, colours and even how it is assembled.

In the Springtime, artisans in the Shanghai region make each lantern by hand, following the technical specifications made in Montreal. In June the lanterns are shipped by boat to Montreal.

In July/August, the lanterns are painstaking assembled by team of electricians, carpenters, plumbers, welders, and assorted other helpers.It takes over a month to build the stands, lay the cables and set up the lanterns.

The lanterns are then displayed from early September through the end of October; lighting up the Chinese garden. This year's theme, the 19th year of the Magic Lanterns, marks the 20th anniversary of the Chinese garden, and is built around the theme of "The First Emperor's Procession". On display are over 700 traditional lanterns and an additional 200+ themed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism