Cubs Lose??!!

For the first time yesterday, I witnessed first hand the Cubs losing. I know people who know baseball won't be surprised by that, as they lose quite a lot, but in the 15-20 games I have attended, they have never lost. This game was away from home at Miller Park, so I can still say that I have never seen them lose at home, and maintain my case for the club sponsoring my season ticket, if they want to get to the World Series!

They started out badly, and were 6-1 down before long. I missed the start of the game due to traffic and roadworks, and when I heard Prior was pitching for the Cubs, I had a feeling of dread, with his dismal record this year 1-8 and his even worse record of never recording a win at Miller Park in over 3 years!

We pulled Prior in the 4th I believe, but the damage was done and it was an uphill struggle, although we did get back to 8-6 by the end of the 8th. We started the 9th well and had base runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out and Jaque Jones at the plate with almost 20 homers to his record this year. Unfortunately he groundout to 2nd, and played us into a double play, ending the innings and my 100% record.

I had been excited about the stadium, as it is pretty new with funky electronic scoreboards and a retractable roof, which they had closed for the whole game for fear of rain that never came. The stadium itself was very impressive as you can see from both pictures. Several very high tiers try to keep you closer to the warning track by adding height instead of depth, and it works pretty well. However we were on the 4th tier which is very high, and I guess because of the distance, is very poorly supplied seat side with beer, dogs, etc; unlike Wrigley which is very well served at all levels, almost to the point of over serving.

We had to go stand in line missing the game all the while, for, and I kid you not, a whole 1.5 innings waiting for them to serve, pre-prepared food, at even more extortionate prices than Wrigley. $4 for a hot dog, $7 for a MGD, which literally comes from across the street, $6.50 for a margarita, and $6 for cheese fries. Needless to say, both the wait and prices significantly changed my opinion of the stadium, but I guess they have to pay for it somehow, by milking the 40+ thousand fans most games.

One of the fun highlights of the game is the sausage race. Milwaukee apparently has a sausage tradition to go with it's beer, must be a German influence; and so they run a sausage race every game, and for fun you can text who you think will win. Currently there are 4 entrants, Polish, Italian, Brat and Hot Dog, although talk of a 5th Chorizo has caused controversy this year with MLB insisting it must wait until after the season is complete. Yesterday the Hot Dog won in a final "ketchup" spurt!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Older I Get....

Cleveland : A Flying Visit

Pucks For Autism